Mayor Muoio will officially declare the week Unity Week with a proclamation at a meeting of the City Commission at City Hall on October 22, 2018 at 5 p.m.
WEST PALM BEACH, FLA. (October 18, 2018) --
Mayor Jeri Muoio and the City of West Palm Beach will recognize Unity Week 2018 from October 21, 2018 through October 27, 2018. Unity Week 2018 is a campaign for unity in the community and, also, in support of local radio personality Reggie Dee, who is walking from West Palm Beach to Seattle, Washington to raise awareness of the importance of unity. Unity Week is being coordinated by Regi Taylor, principal, of Maryland-based Golden OpportUNITY FOR UNITY, Inc. in association with X102.3 and Alpha Media Palm Beach. Mayor Muoio will officially declare the week Unity Week with a proclamation at a meeting of the City Commission at City Hall located at 401 Clematis Street on October 22, 2018 at 5 p.m.
“The idea is to adopt unity as a culture as Mayor Muoio and the City of West Palm Beach have adopted kindness,” said Mr. Taylor. “Normalize treating others as you would have them treat you—every time. This is why my hero, Reggie Dee, is walking from sea to shining sea and spreading this message!”
Unity Week was inspired by Mayor Muoio’s 2017 declaration of West Palm Beach as a City of Kindness encouraging everyone to conduct random acts of kindness and, also, by Reggie Dee’s walk across the country. On August 11, 2018, Reggie departed from West Palm Beach’s Currie Park on a 3,300-mile journey across the country to bring people together for a positive cause.
“West Palm Beach is a City where there is a true sense of community. It’s a place where neighbors take care of neighbors—a City of Kindness,” said West Palm Beach Mayor Jeri Muoio. “We love the idea of Unity Week. We celebrate Reggie Dee on his walk across the country for unity and encourage everyone to participate in Unity Week.”
The following activities, organized by Golden OpportUNITY FOR UNITY and Alpha Media, will commemorate Unity Week 2018 in West Palm Beach:
- Sun., Oct. 21, 2018: Celebrate 7th Annual National Unity Day by wearing a T-shirt expressing peace, love, kindness, unity or observe Open Houses of Worship Day.
- Mon., Oct. 22: On One-Blood Monday, honor our military personnel and families who sacrificed for our country. Mayor Muoio will present a proclamation declaring Unity Week at City Hall at 5 p.m.
- Tues., Oct. 23: On City of Kindness Tuesday, celebrate by performing random acts of unity and kindness. Call (561) 616-4600 and email acts to WMBX-FM to be shared on the air.
- Weds., Oct. 24: On On-the-Table Wednesday, join this national event sponsored by the Community Foundation encouraging community residents to share a meal and ideas to strengthen intracommunity alliances.
- Thurs., Oct. 25: On SEA2SEA Thursday, salute local hero, DJ Reggie Dee, whose 3,300 mile Walk for Unity will take him on foot from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean to bring everyone together. It’s a day to support Reggie’s walk in whatever way you can.
- Fri., Oct. 26: On Golden OpportUNITY FOR UNITY Friday, adopt unity as a culture.
- Sat., Oct. 27: On Walk for Unity Saturday, honor Reggie Dee by counting your steps to add to Reggie Dee’s total. Organize Unity walking parties among families, friends, neighbors, co-workers. There will be a Unity Week Rally at 10 a.m. at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial located at 2400 N. Flagler Dr.
To learn more about Mayor Muoio’s City of Kindness initiative, please visit: http://wpb.org/About/Mayor-s-Page/City-of-Kindness
Alpha Media Promotions Director Dina Cody said, "Reggie wants to thank the City of West Palm Beach, the community, Alpha Media, his friends and family for all the support as he continues his journey across the country.”
Last week, Reggie was in Idaho. To see where he is today and to learn more about Reggie’s Walk for Unity, please visit: https://walkforunity.com/